Principal's Corner with Mr. John Cohrs
December 7, 2017
Dear AQA Families,
Christmas is coming fast! Next week is our annual concert on Thursday, December 14th, at 7:30 p.m. Students must be in the church, dressed in their Sunday best by 7:00 p.m. Please DO NOT send your children dressed in sneakers, jeans or t-shirts. There is no such thing as over-dressed, but we want to maintain a level of self-respect for our students during this formal performance. Everyone works very hard to prepare, so we consider the dress code an important factor.
Due to space limitations, we can only provide two tickets per family. Anything in excess of this MUST be cleared with Mrs. Trezza. We understand the need and temptation to bring more than the allowed amount of guests, but for safety reasons, we hope you will support this requirement. As an added effort to share this extraordinary performance with our families, we will have an open ‘dress’ rehearsal on Wednesday, December 13th, at 1:15 pm sharp (students do not dress in their performance clothes for this). Both the rehearsal and performance will take place in St. Philomena Church. We are looking forward to another wonderful Christmas Concert!
This week is Computer Science Education Week! Thanks to the efforts of our new Technology Integrator, Ms. O’Loughlin, students at Aquinas Academy will participate in basic coding activity. What a great way to engage in a nationally recognized event. Thanks Ms. O’Loughlin for all your hard work!
Student Council and Builders Club are holding their traditional Hat, Sock, Glove and Mitten Drive. These items will be collected for one day only this year on December 12th . All items will be delivered to Several Source Shelters and distributed directly to families in need. This charity organization runs three maternity homes and a daytime shelter for homeless women in Newark, NJ. They serve 54 needy families, including 139 children. Your generous donation will help those in need directly in our local county! What an unbelievably important way to give thanks and help others during this season of Advent. Please do whatever you can to offer your support. Thank you in advance. May you find great fulfillment this Advent by performing kind acts for others in the name of our Lord.
Congratulations on another hugely successful fundraiser at Chipotle! Your support for our school generated over $700.00. Proceeds will be used toward the general fundraising responsibility of the Home-School Association. This contributes to operating expenses not covered by the cost of tuition and allows our parents to support projects that strengthen our school’s curricular program and resources. Special thanks to Mrs. Kranz, her volunteers and the HSA board for your hard work and support. Great job!
On December 13th, we will celebrate this year’s Barnes and Noble Bookfair at the Livingston Mall. With special guests from our faculty who will be reading to the children, an exclusive performance by our talented school band and even a special AQA beverage at the Café, this is surely an event you won’t want to miss. I had the pleasure of experiencing my first Book Fair last year and I am eagerly awaiting this year’s event. It is a time to celebrate our school, promote reading to our children and even get some of your Christmas shopping finished. Plus, Barnes and Noble will donate a portion of the proceeds to Aquinas Academy! Take a few moments to stop by the mall and enjoy this traditional experience. You’ll be glad you did! Please see the below for complete information about the B & N Book Fair.
Please contact the Main Office with all questions at (973) 992-1587. Be sure to check the Aquinas Calendar for all upcoming events.
Friday, December 8
Liturgy in Church, All invited
Tuesday, December 12
Take-a-Tour Tuesday for Prospective Families
SCRIP Orders Due by 2:45 PM
Wednesday, December 13th
Christmas Concert Dress Rehearsal, 1:15 PM, in Church
Barnes& Noble Bookfair, 4:00 PM, Livingston Mall
Thursday, December 14th
Christmas Concert, 7:30 PM, in Church (students report at 7:00 PM)
Friday, December 15th
Blue Ribbon Dress Down Day
| Barnes & Noble Book Fair
Please save December 13th on your calendar for the Barnes & Noble Bookfair! For more information, please see this B&N voucher .
| Volunteers Needed
The Aquinas Faculty & Staff Luncheon sponsored by the Home School Association (HSA) will be on December 19th. We are only asking for volunteers to help setup, monitor classes while teachers are enjoying their lunch, and clean-up. This year, we will have it fully catered, so food donations are not required.
If you would like to participate in a nice way to thank the faculty for guiding and instructing our children, please signup to volunteer by going to this link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0f4da9a92babfa7-faculty or email VolunteerNow388@gmail.com .
| Save the Planet by Cleaning Out Your Closet!
Starting now and running till June 1st, Aquinas Academy is collecting unwanted sneakers and shoes. Wearable shoes will be sent to impoverished regions like the Caribbean, Central America, South America, West Africa and Europe. Unwearable shoes will be recycled and the materials repurposed. Donations can be dropped off in the Main Office. Read more here .
| Ways to help with Tricky Tray
- Solicit - take/save a copy of our solicitation letter and ask for donations from restaurants, hair salons, kids' party venues, etc. Solicit where and when you shop. Contact Tricia Kranz at email@example.com with any questions.
- Wrap - this can be bases or baskets or both. There will be scheduled gatherings over the next several months to wrap boxes in tissue paper. These are used as our gift bases. We will also wrap any items that we've purchased or received. Contact Catherine Ciciola at firstname.lastname@example.org o r Nicol Bell at email@example.com if you can help.
- Buy/Sell ads - these appear in the program and help offset printing costs. Use this order form to place an ad. Contact Tricia Kranz at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Promote - spread the word on your social media accounts. Hang a flyer in your office pantry or cafeteria. Send an email to friends and family asking them to reserve a table. Contact Diane Russo at Dianerusso@verizon.net with reservation needs. Reservations will officially open in January.
- Sell/Buy 50/50s - we will sell 50/50s at designated Masses and school events. Locations and times TBD. Contact Alison Murphy at email@example.com .
- Donate - the less we spend, the more money we make for the school. Here is a registry of suggested items if you would like to donate a basket. Your gift is tax deductible! All donations are recognized in our program. Contact Tracey Fekete at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Set up - decorate the Hanover Manor's dining room and check-in area. Help organize the basket room. This is on April 27th after morning drop-off. We supply the bagels and coffee. Contact Fay Hunter at email@example.com .
- Ticket Sales - Sell raffle tickets at the event. Sign-ups will be posted.
(If you are not receiving the Knight News via email, please use this subscription form .)
Previous Knight News editions:
December 7, 2017
December 1, 2017
November 17, 2017
November 9, 2017
November 2, 2017
October 26, 2017
October 19, 2017
October 12, 2017
October 5, 2017
September 28, 2017
September 14, 2017
September 5, 2017
August 4, 2017